Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] TOAST

From: JanWieck(at)t-online(dot)de (Jan Wieck)
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jan Wieck <wieck(at)hub(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] TOAST
Date: 2000-07-03 23:57:07
Lists: pgsql-committerspgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Jan Wieck <wieck(at)hub(dot)org> writes:
> > TOAST
> >     WARNING: This is actually broken - we have self-deadlocks
> >           due to concurrent changes in buffer management.
> >             Vadim and me are working on it.
>
> Uh, exactly how broken would that be?  Do you mean that the CVS tip
> is now nonfunctional and no one else can expect to get any useful
> work done?  Or do the problems only arise in special cases?

    My usual sequence is

    -   construct a patch
    -   run "cvs update"
    -   apply my patch to a local copy of the CVS tree
    -   run the regression test
    -   apply my patch to the checked out tree
    -   cvs commit

    That  avoids  alot  of  trouble.  The  problems only arise if
    someone uses a new command to activate tuple move off to  the
    secondary relation.

    I  had  some  time where I wasn't able to compile the current
    CVS at all (my old, years grown, box got screwed up a little,
    and  my new notebook wasn't installed to a useful level). The
    problem now is, that if the toaster really moved  off  values
    into the secondary relation, the backend locks up when trying
    to append a main tuple.

    Vadim changed  something  recently  in  heap_insert()  and  I
    already gave him a call. He'll look at the test case I posted
    to CORE soon.

Jan