Re: Big 7.1 open items

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM>
Cc: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: Big 7.1 open items
Date: 2000-06-27 18:18:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > > Our database design seems to be in the opposite direction
> > > if it is restricted for the convenience of command calls.
> >
> > Well, I don't see any reason not to use tablespace/database
> > rather than just tablespace. Seems having fewer files in each directory
>
> Once again - ability to use different tablespaces (disks) for tables/indices
> in the same schema. Schemas must not dictate where to store objects <-
> bad design.

I am suggesting this symlink:

	ln -s data/base/testdb/myspace /var/myspace/testdb

rather than:

	ln -s data/base/testdb/myspace /var/myspace

Tablespaces still sit inside database directories, it is just that it
points to a subdirectory of myspace, rather than myspace itself.

Am I missing something?

> > will be a little faster, and if we can make administration easier,
> > why not?
>
> Because you'll not be able use du/ls once we'll implement new smgr anyway.

At least du will work.  I doubt we will be putting tables from different
databases in the same file.

> And, btw, - for what are we going implement tablespaces? Just to have
> fewer files in each dir ?!

No, I thought it was to split files across drives.