Inverted result set, why?

From: jeam(at)themail(dot)com
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Inverted result set, why?
Date: 2000-06-27 11:30:39
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi there,

Using the psql utility I insert three records into a 6.5.3 postgresql table with or without indexes. I SELECT * and the records are retrieved in the order I inserted them, and that's correct.

However, if I SELECT the records from a Delphi 5 application, using the BDE and the latest ODBC driver, the result set is inverted, i.e., on the same index key, the last record I inserted is listed first and so on.

This forces me to use an index even for tables I don't need one. Or worse yet, I need to create a second, auxiliary field on the table and add it to the index when I have one in order to get the proper order of the inserted records.

I don't know if I should blame Borland's BDE or the ODBC driver.

Any clues about this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Jorge.