Re: Transactions and web applications

From: brianb-pggeneral(at)edsamail(dot)com
To: Lincoln Yeoh <lylyeoh(at)mecomb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Transactions and web applications
Date: 2000-06-27 09:02:06
Lists: pgsql-general

Lincoln Yeoh writes:

> At 10:01 PM 26-06-2000 -0400, Michael Mayo wrote:

Typically, web applications do not need to store the intermediate results
in the database. You can store them as hidden form variables on the
in-between pages or as cookies on the browser. Only when all the data is
ready to be passed to the database do you need to worry about the
transaction, and then it's only done when the webserver handles that
particular page.

This way, you limit your transaction to the time it takes to handle the
final "Submit" page.

If you're doing serious web/db stuff, you may want to look at the numerous
resources available at http://www.arsdigita.com/asj (formerly
http://photo.net/wtr/).

> Do those Java object thingies help for these problems?

:-)

Brian
--
Brian Baquiran <brianb(at)edsamail(dot)com>
http://www.baquiran.com/ AIM: bbaquiran