Re: SQL_TEXT (Re: Re: Big 7.1 open items)

From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu
Cc: t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp, pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL_TEXT (Re: Re: Big 7.1 open items)
Date: 2000-06-25 12:21:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> I think that "character set" and "character repertoire" are synonymous
> (at least I am interpreting them that way).

Is it? I think that a "character set" consists of a "character
repertoire" and a "form of use".

> SQL99 makes a slight
> distinction, in that "repertoire" is a "set" in a specific context of
> application.

I don't understand this probably due to my English ability. Can you
tell me where I can get SQL99 on line doc so that I could study it

> While I'm thinking about it: afaict, if we have the ability to load
> multiple character sets simultaneously, we will want to have *one* of
> those mapped in as the "default character set" for an installation or
> database. So we might want to statically link that one in, while the
> others get loaded dynamically.

Right. While I am not sure we could statically link it, there could be
"default character set" in a installation or database. Also we could
have another "default character set" for NATIONAL CHARACTER. It seems
that those "default character set" are actually same acording to the
Tatsuo Ishii