Re: Interesting mention of PostgreSQL in news

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Interesting mention of PostgreSQL in news
Date: 2000-06-22 21:22:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> http://linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-2000-06/lw-06-S390-3.html
>
> This article, while on the subject of Linux for IBM System/390
> mainframes, also notes that PostgreSQL was easily brought up on that
> box....
>
> Now _that's_ a database engine.
>
> They noted that changes were required to config.sub and config.guess --
> I have e-mailed the author of the article to get those, assuming we
> don't already have them, as well as timings on the compile and the
> regression tests.

The interesting part of this for me was:

Very soon, important applications such as Apache, Samba, PostgreSQL,
linuxconf, Sendmail, bind, Emacs, SSL, and SSH were up and running.
There are now over 400 packages, both source and binaries, ready for use
on Linux for S/390.

Guess we are an important application now. :-)