using max() aggregate

From: Louis-David Mitterrand <cunctator(at)apartia(dot)ch>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: using max() aggregate
Date: 2000-06-16 05:50:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

I am trying to return the most recently updated record from a table:

SELECT max(stopdate) FROM auction;

and this works but only returns the timestamp, however if I try to get
another column with the aggregate it fails:

SELECT title,max(stopdate) FROM auction;
ERROR: Attribute auction.title must be GROUPed or used in an aggregate function

Ok, so I group it now:

SELECT title,max(stopdate) FROM auction GROUP BY title;
title | max
---------------+------------------------
dfsdfsdf | 2000-07-10 05:00:00+02
dssdfsdfsdfsf | 2000-07-09 16:00:00+02
sdfsdfsdfsdf | 2001-04-10 15:00:00+02
(3 rows)

But the problem is that I now get three rows when I only want the max()
item.

How should I do it?

Thanks in advance,

--
Louis-David Mitterrand - ldm(at)apartia(dot)org - http://www.apartia.fr

"Logiciels libres : nourris au code source sans farine animale."