Re: Bug in move 0

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, jutso(at)tpts5(dot)seed(dot)net(dot)tw, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug in move 0
Date: 2000-06-11 03:48:27
Lists: pgsql-bugs
> "Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> > If I remember correctly *move 0* means *move all* in the
> > implementation of cursor.
>
> It does (I looked at it before).
>
> > I don't know if it's the spec or not.
>
> As best I can tell from SQL92, FETCH RELATIVE 0 implies no movement
> (refetch same row).  MOVE is not in the spec but it seems it ought
> to behave like that too.
>
> The fix seemed too extensive to be making in the last days of 7.0
> beta, so I let it go at the time --- but someone should fix this.

I just sent off an email stating that MOVE 0 goes to the end, and that
the FETCH manual page says:

              SQL92 allows one to repetatively retrieve the  cur-
              sor at its "current position" using the syntax

              FETCH RELATIVE 0 FROM cursor

              Postgres does not currently support this notion; in
              fact the value zero is reserved  to  indicate  that
              all  rows  should be retrieved and is equivalent to
              specifying the ALL keyword.  If the  RELATIVE  key-
              word  has  been used, the Postgres assumes that the
              user intended SQL92 behavior and returns this error
              message.

So it seems we are OK.