Re: [HACKERS] Sigh, LIKE indexing is *still* broken in foreign locales

From: "Matthias Urlichs" <smurf(at)noris(dot)de>
To: Giles Lean <giles(at)nemeton(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Moucha_V=E1clav_=3CMouchaV=40radiomobil=2Ecz=3E?=(at)noris(dot)de, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Sigh, LIKE indexing is *still* broken in foreign locales
Date: 2000-06-08 06:53:25
Lists: pgsql-bugspgsql-hackers
Hi,

Giles Lean:
> > So, the rule we thought we had for generating index bounds falls flat,
> > and we're back to the same old question: given a proposed prefix string,
> > how can we generate bounds that are certain to be considered <= and >=
> > all strings starting with that prefix?
>
> To confess ignorance, why does PostgreSQL need to generate such
> bounds?

To find the position in the index where it should start scanning.

> Then there are wide characters, including some encodings that are
> stateful.

Personally, I am in the "store everything on the server in Unicode"
camp. Let the parser convert everything to Unicode on the way in,
and vice versa.

There's no sense, IMHO, in burdening the SQL core with multiple
character encoding schemes.

--
Matthias Urlichs  |  noris network GmbH   |   smurf(at)noris(dot)de  |  ICQ: 20193661
The quote was selected randomly. Really.       |        http://smurf.noris.de/