Re: Performance - fsync-off

From: Alfred Perlstein <bright(at)wintelcom(dot)net>
To: Thomas Weholt <Thomas(at)cintra(dot)no>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance - fsync-off
Date: 2000-06-02 08:57:57
Lists: pgsql-novice
* Thomas Weholt <Thomas(at)cintra(dot)no> [000602 01:45] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just got my Postgres-database up and running, putting in data using a
> Python-script, using the latest version of the PyGres-module by
> Darcy(at)druid(dot)net(dot) It works great! But insertion seems slow, even though I
> just got a few indexes. How can I turn off the fsync-variable? There must be
> a way to turn it off when starting the database, like postmaster -x where x
> is some command-line option or a setting in a config-file etc. I haven`t
> found anything in my search so far. What will this do in terms of
> performance ( 1-5 times ??? ) and is it considered safe? ( I`m running Linux
> )

Running fsync off is not very safe, the option to turn it off is one that
is supplied to the 'postgres' process, see the postmaster manpage to
discover how to pass options to postgres and see the postgres manpage
for the option.

> How does PostgreSQL compare in terms of speed compared to other databases,
> commercial products included??

Pretty darn good. :)

--
-Alfred Perlstein - [bright(at)wintelcom(dot)net|alfred(at)freebsd(dot)org]