Re: config files in /data

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: config files in /data
Date: 2000-05-31 17:46:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> > Yes, seems user-editable files should go in pgsql/etc or pgsql/config.
>
> What?  That'd mean you couldn't have different files for different
> installations, which'd be a severe handicap (at least for developers
> who are pretty likely to have multiple installations on one machine).
> Putting the active copies under the data/ directory is good.

I didn't think of that.  Yes, I can see pgsql/data/config is better.

> Or did you really mean a new subdirectory like data/config/ ?
> I could live with that for new or reformatted config files.  As long as
> pg_hba.conf (for example) doesn't change meaning/layout I'd rather leave
> it where it is.

Seems we can just move it.  I really don't like people in /data, but
/data/config is OK.  Of course, this is just my opinion.  It just scares
me to have people doing edits in a directory with real tables.

I remember someone deleted pg_log last week because they thought it was
a log file.  It just seems we have a mess in /data with too many
different types of files:

	PG_VERSION                      pg_log
	base/                           pg_pwd
	pg_control                      pg_pwd.reload
	pg_database                     pg_shadow
	pg_geqo.sample                  pg_variable
	pg_group                        pg_xlog/
	pg_group_name_index             postmaster.opts
	pg_group_sysid_index            postmaster.opts.default
	pg_hba.conf                     postmaster.pid

I myself am not totally sure of the use of all these.