Re: Postgresql usage clip.

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Brett W(dot) McCoy" <bmccoy(at)chapelperilous(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql usage clip.
Date: 2000-05-30 04:50:37
Lists: pgsql-general

> > We support WIn95/98 clients, not servers.
>
> I thought we did have a cygwin-based server port? If not, there's
> a heckuva lot of useless "PORTNAME=win" conditional compilation in
> the backend.
>
> Mind you, I don't think any sane dbadmin would use Windoze as a
> platform for a mission-critical application, regardless of database
> engine choice. So the cygwin port is pretty much a toy IMHO.
> If MySQL wants to have the toy-application market segment, they're
> welcome to it.

We support servers on NT, but not on Win95/98. Cygwin supports both,
but the Win95/98 has missing features that we need. People have asked
about it, and they have said they were going to try Win95/98 and report
back on the problems they had, but no one has. I assume they got lots
of "unimplemented" messages from Cygwin and gave up.