Postmaster is getting bigger

From: "S(dot)F(dot) Lee" <sflee_tw(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Postmaster is getting bigger
Date: 2000-05-18 08:07:47
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi everyone,

I posted this mail few days ago, but it
seemed that every one focused in about
ECPG problem. I think it might be concerned
if I would change another subject.

I am revamping a computer system by Red Hat 6.0 +
PostgreSQL 6.5.3 + ecpg 2.7 + C. The user interface is
perl Pg + Apache. Everything seems fine, but when I
use "top" to display long term CPU processes, I find
the postmaster is getting bigger in step of 4 kb and
performance is getting worse GRADUALLY (It seems that
perl + Pg would make the size expansion more quickly
than ECPG). Here are some data display in "top":

PID SIZE RSS TIME COMMAND
2526 1260 1260 0:00 postmaster ---- when
postmaster started
2526 28384 20M 4:41 postmaster ---- 2
days later

I didn't find any error in tracing my program, and
the child postmaster is terminated correctly. I really
can't figure out the reason. Please give me advise.

I have installed the latest version 7.0RC5, but
Postmaster is getting bigger also (perl + Pg)

Thanks
S.F.Lee