is multiple insert possible with posgress?

From: sidster <patrick(at)mail(dot)boxsoft(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: is multiple insert possible with posgress?
Date: 2000-05-16 03:39:21
Lists: pgsql-sql
Greetings friends,

I've started to look at postgreSQL for a potential rdbms platform to
move our development to.  However, i have found one slight short-coming
thus far.

I seems that multiple inserts are not supported by postgres:

e.g.,

      INSERT INTO test VALUES (
         'one', 1, 2, 3
      ), (
         'two', 2, 3, 4
      ), (
         .
         .     -- you get the idea
         .     -- now imagine a hundred or so of these
      ), (
         'ten', 10, 11, 12
      );

will generate the following error:

      ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near ","

Is this type of insert not supported at all?

I did a search through the mailing lists (namely pgsql-sql and
pgsql-general).  Admittedly the search wasn't exhaustive but i was
unable to 'hit' on any relevant topic.

Could someone please clarify whether or not multiple-inserts are planned
for a near-future release?  Pointers to documentation and/or
mailing-list discussions would be appreciated.

tia,

patrick
--
Abstainer: a weak person who yields to the temptation of
denying himself a pleasure.

pgsql-sql by date