Open documentation items for 7.0

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-documentation <docs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Open documentation items for 7.0
Date: 2000-04-08 22:03:53
Lists: pgsql-docs

Thanks to Tom Lane, we now have a list of documentation updates needed
for 7.0.

Can people submit patches or comment on these so we can get this list
emptied?

> Add SET FSYNC and SHOW PG_OPTIONS commands(Massimo)

Are any of these documented. We now have a sample file. Is that
enough?

> Add CmdTuples() to libpq++(Vince)
> New CREATE CONSTRAINT TRIGGER and SET CONSTRAINTS commands(Jan)

> First real FOREIGN KEY constraint trigger functionality (Jan)
> Add FOREIGN KEY ... MATCH FULL ... ON DELETE CASCADE (Jan)
> Add FOREIGN KEY ... MATCH referential actions (Don Baccus)

Nees more work.

> Allow WHERE restriction on ctid (physical heap location) (Hiroshi)

Not documented; not quite sure where to put it, either.

> Add ecpg EXEC SQL IFDEF, EXEC SQL IFNDEF, EXEC SQL ELSE, EXEC SQL ELIF
> and EXEC SQL ENDIF directives

ecpg.sgml?

> Add pg_ctl script to control backend startup (Tatsuo)
> Add postmaster.opts.default file to store startup flags (Tatsuo)
> and postmaster.pid file

In progress as part of pg_ctl.

> Updated user interfaces on initdb, initlocation, pg_dump, ipcclean (Peter E)

initlocation and pg_dump man pages still need to be updated; not sure
about ipcclean.

> Add ALTER TABLE ... ADD FOREIGN KEY (Stephan Szabo)

> Implement column aliases (aka correlation names) and more join syntax
> (Thomas)
> Allow queries like SELECT a FROM t1 tx (a) (Thomas)
> Allow queries like SELECT * FROM t1 NATURAL JOIN t2 (Thomas)

Not documented. Not sure we want to seeing as they are mostly disabled.

> New libpq functions PQsetClientEncoding(), PQclientEncoding() (Tatsuo)

Documented, but only in README.mb. Is that OK?

> New lztext data type for compressed text fields

Not documented. I think we want to document it, no?

> New C-routines to implement a BIT and BIT VARYING type in /contrib
> (Adriaan Joubert)

Not documented. New for 7.0.

> Make ISO date style (2000-02-16 09:33) the default (Thomas)

Updated set man page. Not sure where else this goes.

> Add NATIONAL CHAR [ VARYING ]
> Improved TRANSLATE() function

Only mentioned in Table 5-4, which hardly gives room to explain...