Re: [GENERAL] User authentication problem

From: "Oliver Elphick" <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Guillermo Iglesias <guillermo(at)castelo(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, olly(at)linda(dot)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] User authentication problem
Date: 2000-03-08 14:13:02
Lists: pgsql-general

Guillermo Iglesias wrote:
>I have a database in a PC with linux and I try to connect from other PC with
>linux too, when I try to do a query from command line with psql and the -u
>option :
>
> psql -d obrascop -c "select * from obras" -hpedidos -u
>
>I get the following error if i suply an user that exists in /etc/passwd
>
> Connection to database 'obrascop' failed.
> Password authentication failed for user 'postgres'
>
>But if i connect with an user that only exists in PostgreSQL it works
>Can someone tell me why
>
>I have the following line in pg_hba.conf
> host all 192.168.0.15 255.255.255.255 password
>where 192.168.0.15 is the host from which I try to connect.

PostgreSQL password authentication has nothing to do with /etc/passwd.

The only users who can access PostgreSQL are those known to it
(listed in pg_shadow). These usernames bear no necessary connection
with names in /etc/passwd.

--
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver