Re: [ADMIN] Cannot install postgreSQL

From: "Oliver Elphick" <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)wallace(dot)ece(dot)rice(dot)edu>
Cc: Roman Kurmanowytsch <romank(at)infosys(dot)tuwien(dot)ac(dot)at>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Cannot install postgreSQL
Date: 2000-03-07 21:27:52
Lists: pgsql-admin
"Ross J. Reedstrom" wrote:
  >On Tue, Mar 07, 2000 at 07:44:39PM +0100, Roman Kurmanowytsch wrote:
  >Postgres is different than postmaster. Although they're the same
  >executable, you get different behavior based on the name it's invoked
  >as. As postmaster, it's the daemon that serves incoming connections. As
  >postgres, it starts up a 'backend' proceess that access the db files. So,
  >yes, by running postgres.exe you _were_ trying to access the database
  >romkur.

I thought maybe this was a weird feature of the Windows implementation,
which I have never seen; of course, the normal PostgreSQL frontend is
psql, not postgres.  I think psql[.exe?] is what you should be running.

--
Oliver Elphick                                Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
     "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them