Re: [ADMIN] Cannot install postgreSQL

From: "Oliver Elphick" <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Roman Kurmanowytsch <romank(at)infosys(dot)tuwien(dot)ac(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, olly(at)linda(dot)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Cannot install postgreSQL
Date: 2000-03-07 19:11:14
Lists: pgsql-admin
Roman Kurmanowytsch wrote:
  >Seems OK to me, but when I run postgres (after starting the ipc daemon) with
      >:
  >postgres.exe -i
  >I get the following error-message:
  >
  ><OUTPUT>
  >FATAL 1:  Database romkur does not exist in pg_database
  >FATAL 1:  Database romkur does not exist in pg_database
  ></OUTPUT>

There is no database called "romkur", because you haven't yet created it.

When initdb is run, it creates a database called template1; this is the
only database that exists until you create some more.

When you try to connect as a database user, postgres assumes you want
your eponymous database, unless you tell it different.  So tell it
you want to connect to template1.

--
Oliver Elphick                                Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
     "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them