Re: [ADMIN] Cannot install postgreSQL

From: "Oliver Elphick" <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Roman Kurmanowytsch <romank(at)infosys(dot)tuwien(dot)ac(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, olly(at)linda(dot)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Cannot install postgreSQL
Date: 2000-03-07 19:11:14
Lists: pgsql-admin
Roman Kurmanowytsch wrote:
  >Seems OK to me, but when I run postgres (after starting the ipc daemon) with
  >postgres.exe -i
  >I get the following error-message:
  >FATAL 1:  Database romkur does not exist in pg_database
  >FATAL 1:  Database romkur does not exist in pg_database
There is no database called "romkur", because you haven't yet created it.

When initdb is run, it creates a database called template1; this is the
only database that exists until you create some more.

When you try to connect as a database user, postgres assumes you want
your eponymous database, unless you tell it different.  So tell it
you want to connect to template1.

Oliver Elphick                                Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight
     "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them
      in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the
      Holy Ghost; Teaching them to observe all things
      whatsoever I have commanded you; and, lo, I am with
      you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen."
                     Matthew 28:19,20