Cannot install postgreSQL

From: Roman Kurmanowytsch <romank(at)infosys(dot)tuwien(dot)ac(dot)at>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Cannot install postgreSQL
Date: 2000-03-07 15:52:56
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

Ok, ok, I totally agree that this question should be posted to the Novice
mailing list (that's what I did before but to no avail). My only (lame)
excuse is that is about administrating postgresql.

I've a running postgresql db on one machine and I want to install it on a
second one. The problem is: I get an error I definitely haven't got when I
installed it the first time.

This is the result when I'm running initdb (initdb --pglib=...
--username=romkur). The PGDATA environment variable is set correctly:

<OUTPUT>
We are initializing the database system with username romkur (uid=1005).
This user will own all the files and must also own the server process.
Creating Postgres database system directory /postgresql/pgsql/data
Creating Postgres database system directory /postgresql/pgsql/data/base
Creating template database in /postgresql/pgsql/data/base/template1
Creating global classes in /postgresql/pgsql/data/base
Adding template1 database to pg_database...
Vacuuming template1
Creating public pg_user view
Creating view pg_rules
Creating view pg_views
Creating view pg_tables
Creating view pg_indexes
</OUTPUT>

Seems OK to me, but when I run postgres (after starting the ipc daemon) with:
postgres.exe -i
I get the following error-message:

<OUTPUT>
FATAL 1: Database romkur does not exist in pg_database
FATAL 1: Database romkur does not exist in pg_database
</OUTPUT>

Does anybody know a work-around for this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Roman

PS: /etc/passwd exists and it contains the correct UID. I'm using Windows
NT with Cygnus b20. The same error occurs with postgresql 6.5 and 6.5.3.

--
Roman Kurmanowytsch
Vienna, Austria