Re: [HACKERS] CREATE VIEW fix

From: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)wallace(dot)ece(dot)rice(dot)edu>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] CREATE VIEW fix
Date: 2000-03-07 19:41:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 07, 2000 at 04:14:35PM +0000, Thomas Lockhart wrote:
> I've got patches to fix the CREATE VIEW command to support SQL92
> syntax for result column names, a la
>
> CREATE VIEW (a, b, c) AS SELECT ...
>
> It is an almost trivial fix, requiring the addition of a single field
> in the View structure and a few lines of code in analyze.c.

Hmm, couldn't you just rewrite the SELECT d, e, f ... part to use the
AS syntax? I was thinking that both:

CREATE VIEW (a, b, c) AS SELECT d, e, f ...
CREATE VIEW AS SELECT d AS a, e AS b, f AS c ...

should result in the same VIEW being created. But, hey, don't let me
knock already written code!

> I'll commit this at the same time I commit support for the SQL92
> OVERLAPS operator, which will need an initdb anyway since there are a
> few new functions in pg_proc. I believe that we have at least one
> other patch coming which will force an initdb anyway, and I'll
> coordinate with that.
>
> - Thomas

Excellent: Both changes will help with the NIST test suite I'm (trying)
to run.

Ross
--
Ross J. Reedstrom, Ph.D., <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer