Re: [SQL] index file's growing big

From: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)wallace(dot)ece(dot)rice(dot)edu>
To: Karl Denninger <karl(at)Denninger(dot)Net>
Cc: zoltan(dot)sebestyen(at)netvisor(dot)hu, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] index file's growing big
Date: 2000-03-06 18:02:22
Lists: pgsql-sql
On Mon, Mar 06, 2000 at 10:46:19AM -0600, Karl Denninger wrote:
> Uh, why not just "vacuum" the table?
>
> You want to do this periodically anyway, as Postgres does not re-use TABLE
> entries either, and the table file itself will grow without bound if you
> don't do this once in a while.
>
> Further, if the tables are large you want to use "vacuum analyze" to reorder
> the indices in a fashion that makes queries more efficient.

Well, with a recent version, that will help keep the index from growing as
fast, but it will still grow. That's the point of my garbled description.

However, if Zoltan is _not_ vacuuming regularly, that's a problem as well.
If he wasn't, though, I'd have expected him to complain about the size
of the table file, not the index file.

Ross

--
Ross J. Reedstrom, Ph.D., <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer