Re: [INTERFACES] Pgaccess - Error trying to connect

From: "Don Oliver" <dayo_nanaimo(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Pgaccess - Error trying to connect
Date: 2000-03-02 17:02:59
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
"Dave Del Signore" wrote
>Try editing the script by hand, and find the line which is of the form:
>su -l postgres -c "$BINDIR/postmaster -i -S -D$DATADIR"

	yes, this is OK

"Joe Shevland" wrote
>Do a:
>netstat -an
>and check if anything is listening on port 5432.

	I get: tcp  0  0 0.0.0.0:5432  0.0.0.0:*  LISTEN

>Also, try looking at your ODBC data source definition
>and check the hostname/IP address setting.

>Once you've verified this, try pinging that hostname
>or IP address from your DOS-prompt to see if its
>reachable via TCP/IP.

	I'll have to look up what these mean and how to do them.
	I'm still pretty ignorant. :-)

"Tom Lane" wrote
>If you mean that "psql" works, that's good, but by default psql tries to
>connect via a Unix socket file, not via TCP/IP.  So TCP connection
>problems won't necessarily show up.  If you use the -h option then psql
>tries to use a TCP connection, which is what pgaccess always tries.
>I'll bet if you do "psql -h localhost" you see the same failure as in
>pgaccess.

	I did!

>If you do, say, "telnet localhost 23", do you get a telnet login prompt
>or an error?

	I got error no such command. So installed telnet, and now get:
	"telnet: unable to connect to remote host: Network is   unreachable."

	It is now quite apparent that my problem is not with PgAccess, but with 	my
network setup. I'll work on this. I see that I have lots more reading 	to
do!
	Many thanks to you all for the help. I would never have thought of these
	things myself.

Don

Don Oliver
dayo_nanaimo(at)hotmail(dot)com