Using libpq in a multithreaded environment

From: Rini Dutta <rinid(at)rocketmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Using libpq in a multithreaded environment
Date: 2000-02-25 16:47:31
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-interfaces
Hi,
I need to use libpq in a multithreaded environment.
Ideally I would like to open a single connection to
the database and use that for all threads.
I just discovered that the PGconn returned when a
connection is opened is usable for only one thread
since it also seems to store the result (PGresult *)
and the errorMessage. Could you tell me if there is a
way to use one connection in multiple threads, or
whether I will need to necessarily open one Connection
per thread ? Which is the preferred course of action ?

Thanks,
Rini

ps : Sorry, but I've been  unable to search the
archives before sending this mail. For the last three
days each time I try a search I get the folllowing
message :

The document contained no data. Try again later or
contact the server's administrator.