Re: [INTERFACES] The persistance of C functions

From: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)wallace(dot)ece(dot)rice(dot)edu>
To: Karel Zak - Zakkr <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
Cc: Bryan White <bryan(at)arcamax(dot)com>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] The persistance of C functions
Date: 2000-02-10 16:34:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

On Thu, Feb 10, 2000 at 10:42:29AM +0100, Karel Zak - Zakkr wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Bryan White wrote:
>
> > If I use CREATE FUNCTION for a C function in a .so file and then use the
> > function and then change and recompile the function, what steps are needed
> > to see the change?
> >
> > As I see it the options are:
> > A: do nothing, the function is reloaded on every invocation.
> > B: Reopen the connection to the backend
> > C: Restart the postmaster
> >
> > I suspect B is correct but I would like to hear someone confirm it.
>

> 'B' is right - the postgreSQL not has any persisten cache for this, and
> if you restart connection a backend reload this information again.
>
> Or you can drop/(re)create a function, it is total safe solution.

Not _totally_ safe: if you've got anything that refers to that function,
like a user defined type definition, drop/(re)create will change the
function's oid in the pg_proc table, causing errors when the old
function is looked up. Hmm, an ALTER FUNCTION command might be nice...

Ross
--
Ross J. Reedstrom, Ph.D., <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer