Re: [HACKERS] freefuncs.c is never called from anywhere!?

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] freefuncs.c is never called from anywhere!?
Date: 2000-02-01 01:48:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > However, I can't find any macro that uses this like makeNode does with
> > its pasteing. I would perhaps move it to a _deadcode directory and see
> > what happens. Or should we enable it?
>
> Please no more _deadcode. Why do we have CVS?

No one looks in the old cvs versions. Better to have a separate
directory.

> (In the same spirit it would also be nice to tag NOT_USED sections with a
> version number, so it could be yanked two or three releases past.)

Good idea, but most NOT_USED must be checked to see if there is anything
valuable in there. If not, it can be removed. Age is not the issue.
We have code from Berkeley in NOT_USED because sometimes we may need it.
You can remove it when you understand why it was there, or what it is
doing, and know we will not need it.

We may be able to remove them all someday if some suggests that. They
are usually quite old.