multibyte-support

From: Ulf Mehlig <umehlig(at)uni-bremen(dot)de>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Cc: mitja(at)mail(dot)velenje(dot)cx
Subject: multibyte-support
Date: 2000-01-29 22:15:30
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

[ I hope this message is "right" in the interfaces list! ]

Hello,

I discovered the multibyte-support of postgreSQL (the documentation is
not easy to find ...). After re-compiling with "--with-mb" and
"--enable-locale", re-creating the data directory with "initdb -e
LATIN1" and re-building my database with "-e LATIN1" as well, I'm able
e.g. to get +-proper sorting of strings with German umlauts
etc.

However, when I try to use the precompiled psql client for Windows
from "ftp://ftp.postgresql.org" over a network connection, it is not
able to understand the "special" characters like "u umlaut" etc.,
whether I set CLIENT_ENCODING to either 'WIN', 'ALT', or 'LATIN1' (I
think, multibyte support is compiled in the client, at least my unix
psql won't let me set this variable if it has no mb).

Which encodings do I have to use? The client runs on a vmware virtual
PC with German NT 4.0/SP5, the server is a Linux (i386/2.2.14) with
postgreSQL 6.5.3.

Many thanks for your attention + help,
Ulf

P.S.: Please CC: me, I'm not on this list at the moment!

Ulf Mehlig <umehlig(at)zmt(dot)uni-bremen(dot)de>
Center for Tropical Marine Ecology/ZMT, Bremen, Germany