Re: [GENERAL] Query with ISO caracters: wrong order?

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer(at)pasteur(dot)fr>
To: Web Manager <web(at)inter-resa(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Query with ISO caracters: wrong order?
Date: 2000-01-28 10:08:47
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thursday 27 January 2000, at 16 h 9, the keyboard of Web Manager
<web(at)inter-resa(dot)com> wrote:

> Our company is french based so we use ISO characters (accents) in our
> data. It looks like all queries made on those characters don't sort out
> OK...

May be you should run the backend with the proper value of locale for
LC_COLLATE (no, I didn't try myself yet, neither I checked in the PostgreSQL
code). But see the FAQ, too <http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq-english.html#4.
1>.

> Especially if the first character is not standard english. The
> word is put at the end, after "z" !!!

If you read a phone directory in Sweden, you will discover that not all the
European languages sort the same, even when they use the same charset
(Latin-1).

> So, United States in french is "États-Unis" (hope you can see the first
> letter ok!)
> and it should be next to a country like "Equator"

In French, but not for all the Latin-1 users.