Re: [GENERAL] pgsql over ISDN lines ...

From: Marten Feldtmann <marten(at)feki(dot)toppoint(dot)de>
To: Peter Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] pgsql over ISDN lines ...
Date: 2000-01-27 20:14:46
Lists: pgsql-general

> On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, Marten Feldtmann wrote:
>
> > I've tried to use PostgreSQL over ISDN lines with about a timeout
> > of ~60 seconds - when no traffic is done, the line is dropped.
> >

> Hmmm, I've just tried this, and it worked for me.
>
> I've got ISDN here, so I setup a test server on one of my linux boxes at
> work, then dropped the line.
>
> I then tested #1 buy connecting to the server. It connected fine.
>
> I then issued a query, which worked, then dropped the ISDN connection
> (with the psql one still running).
>
> With the ISDN down, I then issued another query using psql, and the ISDN
> line came up, and after a couple of seconds, the query results were
> returned.

Ok, I've now done some further tests and I've found the reason, why
my application process was not able to continue ....

The reason was, that the backend process terminated when the isdn
line went down.

What have I done:

telnet to remote server pc and start the postmaster.

Now doing several sql-command using psql ...

now do nothing, line is dropped ....

now I try to execute some psql commands .. but they failed.

telnet to server: postmaster is still running, but backend process is
not there ...

Marten

Any idea ?