Can you get a whole row with a max on one column

From: "Scott V(dot) McGuire" <svmcguir(at)syr(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Can you get a whole row with a max on one column
Date: 2000-01-27 19:26:10
Lists: pgsql-general

I have a table with these columns (and more but irrelevant ones)

| magnetic_susceptibility | float8
| spin_coupling | float8
| boundary_coupling | float8

I want a query to give (spin_coupling, boundary_coupling) where for each
boundary_coupling it gives the spin_coupling for which magnetic_susceptibility is
maximum.

Kinda like:
select boundary_coupling, max(magnetic_susceptibility) from run_averages group by
boundary_coupling;

except I don't want to see max(magnetic_susceptibility) but the spin_coupling which
corresponds to max(magnetic_susceptibility).

I know I can do this with a small program, but I would like to have a single query
so that I can use psql -c "query" in a script and pipe the results to a file.

Thanks,
--
Scott V. McGuire <svmcguir(at)syr(dot)edu>
GnuPG key available at http://physics.syr.edu/~svmcguir