Syntax bug in create table - does not allow NULL

From: Gunnar R|nning <gunnar(at)candleweb(dot)no>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Syntax bug in create table - does not allow NULL
Date: 2000-01-21 13:05:09
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Your name : Gunnar Rønning
Your email address : gunnar(at)candleweb(dot)no

System Configuration
---------------------
Architecture (example: Intel Pentium) : Intel Pentium

Operating System (example: Linux 2.0.26 ELF) : Linux 2.2.12 ELF

PostgreSQL version (example: PostgreSQL-6.5.3): PostgreSQL-6.5.3

Compiler used (example: gcc 2.8.0) : gcc version egcs-2.91.66

There seems to be a syntax bug in the create table statement that prevents
you from specifying the (redundant) NULL qualifier for a column. Here is my
example create table statement :

create table DOCUMENT
(
DOCUMENTID INTEGER not null,
DOCUMENTTYPE INTEGER NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (DOCUMENTID)
);

According to the documentation I should be able to specify NULL on the
DOCUMETTYPE column, but I get this error message from psql :

ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "null"

FYI. I'm experimenting with using PowerDesigner to generate SQL for
PostgreSQL and I'm modifying a definition file for Oracle to work with
PostgreSQL. Do you know if this already has been done by somebody ?

Please describe a way to repeat the problem. Please try to provide a

If you know how this problem might be fixed, list the solution below: