Re: [BUGS] problem creating index in 6,5,3

From: Karl DeBisschop <kdebisschop(at)range(dot)infoplease(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [BUGS] problem creating index in 6,5,3
Date: 2000-01-04 20:01:32
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-general

> From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
>
> Karl DeBisschop <kdebisschop(at)range(dot)infoplease(dot)com> writes:
> > The problem manifests itself as
>
> > webusers=> CREATE INDEX zdaily_id ON daily (id);
> > pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly.
> > This probably means the backend terminated abnormally
> > before or while processing the request.
>
> Is a corefile dumped in the database directory when this happens?
> If so, can you get a backtrace from it with gdb?
>
> > This did work for us using 6.5.1 compiled in house. Our problems
> > started with the 6.5.3 RPM.
>
> Hmm. We have been seeing some reports recently of other odd behavior
> with the Linux RPMs (see the "ordering RH6.1" thread on pgsql-hackers).
> Would you take the time to compile 6.5.3 from source and see if you
> still see the same behavior?
>
> If you do this, please compile the backend with full debug+assert
> support, which is to say
> (a) add --enable-cassert to the configure command;
> (b) do make COPT=-g all instead of just make all.
> That should make the gdb backtrace a lot more informative, if
> a coredump happens...

Finally got a tiny little error message:

sterno.infoplease.com:/u/kdebisschop> psql -p 5433 webusers -c "CREATE INDEX zdaily_id ON daily (id)"
before or while processing the request.
We have lost the connection to the backend, so further processing is impossible. Terminating.
[2]+ Done psql -p 5433 webusers -c "CREATE INDEX zdaily_date_n ON daily (date,n)"
sterno.infoplease.com:/u/kdebisschop> psql -p 5433 webusers -c "CREATE INDEX zdaily_id ON daily USING hash (id)"
ERROR: cannot open segment 1 of relation zdaily_id
sterno.infoplease.com:/u/kdebisschop>

Still no core dump. Each of these takes an hour or so to croak.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Karl DeBisschop