Re: [ADMIN] Is it possible to run multiple postmasters?h

From: Karl DeBisschop <kdebisschop(at)range(dot)infoplease(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Is it possible to run multiple postmasters?h
Date: 2000-01-04 15:37:10
Lists: pgsql-admin

> Karl DeBisschop wrote:
> >
> > > Yes you can. Use a postmaster parameter to specify a different port
> > > number, and use that port number in your connections.
> >
> > What I was missing was that:
> >
> > rm -f /tmp/.s.PGSQL.* > /dev/null
> >
> > must be removed from thr redhat init script in order for the sockcts
> > to work correctly. The 6.5.1/6.5.3 workarond now seems viable.
>
> As a note, the RedHat init scripts shipped with the RPM's are not
> intended for 'special' applications such as this one -- however, I am
> working on a more generalized setup in the RPM's where multiple
> postmasters, etc, could be started.

snip snip...

> I'm assuming that you have all the paths set correctly for each copy of
> the postmaster, so that the 6.5.1 postmaster isn't trying to start a
> 6.5.3 backend, right?

For anyone following this topic, testing shows that postmaster invokes
the postgres binary in the expected directory, even without explicitly
setting the path. I'm not sure if this is always the case, or is an
artifact of the fact that the init script specifies the full path.
I see it as just another illustration of how much thought and effort
has gone into making this a good product.

Karl DeBisschop