Re: [ADMIN] Is it possible to run multiple postmasters?h

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: kdebisschop(at)range(dot)infoplease(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Is it possible to run multiple postmasters?h
Date: 2000-01-03 20:01:34
Lists: pgsql-admin

> About 2 weeks ago, I reported a problem with 6.5.3 on Linux version
> 2.2.7-1.23smp (VA-Research). Basically, we have one gigabyte scale
> table that will not index on the text field, although it does index on
> a char(1) and a date field.

Sorry, I don't remember this.

> We been unable to find the cause of the problem ourselves, and the user
> community and developers have not yet come up with a solution.
>
> So, as a work-around we contemplated running two postmasters on the
> same machine, with different ports and data directories - one would be
> 6.5.3 which has recent bug fixes that we like alot and a second which
> would be 6.5.1 which can successfully create the index that 6.5.3
> cannot.

It is very strange something would work on 6.5.1 and not on 6.5.3. The
changes are _very_ small between the two releases, and I would doubt
anything that would show up as a bug.

> I've been able to get both postmasters running, but the second one to
> start seems to interfere with operation of the first. So my quation
> is, can I run two postmasters simultaneously on the same machine?
> And if so, how?

Yes you can. Use a postmaster parameter to specify a different port
number, and use that port number in your connections.