Re: PosgreSQL is crashing with a signal 11 - Bug?

From: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho(at)ifi(dot)uio(dot)no>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PosgreSQL is crashing with a signal 11 - Bug?
Date: 2004-09-08 22:30:16
Lists: pgsql-bugs
[Tom Lane]:

>   Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho(at)ifi(dot)uio(dot)no> writes:
>   > indeed interesting.  IMHO 0x0fff sounds more like a write to -1
>   > (relative to the next page) than a random memory error.
>
>   Note though that that offset is only special with respect to
>   locations on disk; it was not a special address in memory.  I'm
>   wondering about transient flakiness in your disk drive controller
>   causing it to sometimes return bad data.  Have you run any
>   read/write disk tests?

well, the hardware RAID1 controller claims the disks are healthy, but
of course it would.  I was unable to find any software to do such
testing, the closest I got was badblocks(8), but it only wants to work
on a block device.

I hacked good old bonnie to write blocks of a random byte, then read
them back and see if they match.  I'll run a few such processes
concurrently, we'll see if it suffices to trigger (and discover) any
hardware bugs.
--
Kjetil T.