Re: pgScript patch

From: "Mickael Deloison" <mdeloison(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgScript patch
Date: 2008-08-12 15:01:58
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

2008/8/12 Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>:
> What you advocate there sounds to me like it should be integrated in
> the sense that it's part of our codebase, but isolated in it's own
> project and built as a DLL to be used by pgAdmin. Which in some ways
> gives us the best of both worlds, as Mickael could continue to
> maintain the code outside of the pgAdmin cycle, either directly on
> branches of the pgAdmin code, or by working on a copy from which we
> update the pgAdmin tree periodically.
>
> I actually kinda like that idea...

At this time, when fully integrated into pgAdmin codebase, pgScript is
in pgadmin/include/pgscript and pgadmin/pgscript directories: so this
quite "isolated".

But, for me, the big pro of having pgScript as a separate executable
(pgadmin3.exe and pgscript.exe) is that the operating system takes
care of cleaning pgScript mess when this last one exits: you cannot
have any memory leak or instability in pgAdmin because of a potential
bug in pgScript [ I hope there is none ;-), but at this time I have
some problems with the threads ].

I think a DLL is just a way of isolating pgScript a bit more but maybe
I'm wrong. Anyway, pgScript can be compiled as a static library
(lipbpgs.a). I do not know how to make a DLL (never done that) but I
guess it could be done quite easily since I can compile it as a static
library.

Mickael