Re: Project proposal for Google Summer of Code

From: "Mickael Deloison" <mdeloison(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Project proposal for Google Summer of Code
Date: 2008-03-26 14:53:29
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

2008/3/26, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>:
> Hi Mickael,

Hi Dave,

> A couple of things spring to mind. I assume the scripts are all parsed
> and executed on the client, rather than the server? If so, that seems
> pretty cool, but perhaps would be more appropriate in pgAdmin as a
> generic tool that happens to be useful for unit testing amongst other
> things.

The script is indeed executed on the client side. It is actually a
Flex/Bison reentrant parser (no conflict with the rest of pgAdmin).
However I do not understand exactly what you mean by "generic tool".

> The other thought I had was that the demo looks either extremely well
> mocked up, or you've done a large percentage of the work already. Is
> that the case?

You are right: a large percentage of the work has been done already
and the demo is not mocked up at all. The global architecture of the
application can be considered as "done". Some code is not very clean
because I had to do it quickly for the demonstration (a lot of copies
and pastes) and not everything is implemented (there is a TODO list).
But I achieved my two goals with this demo:
1) Convince me it is possible (I was not sure at first)
2) Show the community that this is a concrete and feasible project

So, the reasons I want to suggest it for Google Summer of Code are:
- I need to be mentored for pgAdmin integration, Visual C++ Express
integration (like it is in the demo) works but it is not complete at
all (syntax highlighting, stop the parser if someone clicks on the
"Cancel" button, and a lot of things in the frmQuery form...)
- I need to be mentored for documentation, code refactoring and conventions
- I need to be introduced to the community through mailing-lists and
websites to talk about the project, since this is the real thing I
wanted to improve last year (like I said in my final evaluation)
Of course, a first part of the project would consist in finishing what
I started (the TODO list I talked about above). And the second part
would be the integration.

Mickael