Questions on production rollout

From: billybobc1210(at)yahoo(dot)com (Bill C(dot))
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Questions on production rollout
Date: 2004-03-21 03:04:42
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

Have heard great things about PostgreSQL as far as performance
and stability and am considering using PostgreSQL in a
production environment. However, I'm a little worried because
our product will be installed on client machines with various
configurations: shared memory params in /etc/system, patch
levels, memory, disk space, etc., etc.

I am wondering if somebody who has had some experience rolling
out PostgreSQL into a production environment might give me some
tips on where the major pitfalls are that I need to be aware of.
Links and/or FAQs would be great.

Just to give an idea about the source of my concerns:

1) A guy here had a compiled version of PostgreSQL for Solaris 8
that he gave me to install on my Solaris 8 system. He said just
untar it and you're good to go. I did, then I tried using the
psql command to connect his server that he already had up and
running on his system. Got an error because I don't have a gcc
library installed. So here's an example of an install that worked
on one machine but not the other. Is it possible to build a
version that one can be reasonably sure is going to run on all
systems with a given OS? I mean, if I know the client machine is
Solaris 8, can I build a self-contained set of binaries that I
can confidently say will run on other Solaris 8 machines?

2) I realize there are other configuration parameters involved.
E.g. already encountered "SHMMAX value to small" message when
trying to start server on my system. I changed it to something
big, rebooted and it still didn't work. I'm not too worried that
I can't eventually figure it out but it still has me a little
spooked. Wouldn't want to put a client thru hell trying to get
the server up and running. Are there other system configuration
gotchas I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance,

Bill