renice on an I/O bound box

From: Willy-Bas Loos <willybas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: renice on an I/O bound box
Date: 2010-01-19 12:59:41
Lists: pgsql-performance
Hi,

I have a query that runs for about 16 hours, it should run at least weekly.
There are also clients connecting via a website, we don't want to keep them
waiting because of long DSS queries.

We use Debian Lenny.
I've noticed that renicing the process really lowers the load (in "top"),
though i think we are I/O bound. Does that make any sense?

Cheers,

WBL
--
"Patriotism is the conviction that your country is superior to all others
because you were born in it." -- George Bernard Shaw

pgsql-performance by date

Next:From: fkater@googlemail.comDate: 2010-01-19 13:36:30