Re: pgFoundry Download URLs

From: Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>, "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)justatheory(dot)com>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgFoundry Download URLs
Date: 2009-12-28 10:41:39
Lists: pgsql-www

2009/12/28 Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>:
> Dave Page wrote:
>> Guillaume Smet did perform an initial migration
>> (http://takara.postgresql.org/) on FreeBSD, which has stalled, largely
>> due to lack of spare time I think.

Yes. I apologize for that. I'm stuck on a large project for 7 months
now and I don't have any free cycle. AFAICS, the project is likely to
end in one month or so.

It's my top priority task as soon as I get some spare cycles back.

> note that despite what people claim usually our pgfoundry code is only
> marginally modified ( two or three things to make it work better on freebsd
> and some manual backports for security issues).

I confirm.

The version on takara has all the specific patches backported and it's
really minor (mostly system related and I'm going to document them).

> The main issue is just that upgrading is simply a large amount of work that
> needs a concerted effort from a few of us.

Yup. I could have managed all the migration myself in a RH environment
but I'm not FreeBSD fluent and I don't have any time to invest in a
system environment I'm not familiar with.

The current status is that most of the software stuff is done. But we
need to work on the system part and on the migration path.

--
Guillaume