Re: Clean shutdown and warm standby

From: Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Clean shutdown and warm standby
Date: 2009-04-28 15:35:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 5:22 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
> At a normal startup, the checkpoint record would be there as usual. And an
> archive recovery starts at the location indicated by the backup label.
>
> AFAICS calling RequestXLogSwitch() before CreateCheckPoint would be
> equivalent to calling "pg_switch_xlog()" just before shutting down.

That's what I had in mind when writing the patch but I didn't know the
implications of this particular checkpoint.

So moving the call before CreateCheckPoint is what I really intended
now that I have in mind these implications and I don't why it would be
a problem to miss this checkpoint in the logs archived.

--
Guillaume