Re: RHEL4 RPM packages

From: "Guillaume Smet" <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "John R Pierce" <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
Cc: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RHEL4 RPM packages
Date: 2007-04-11 09:34:11
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 4/11/07, John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com> wrote:
> I think what -I- ran into was that there was no compat-3 in the public
> repositories, just compat-4... this was about a month ago. devrim
> indicated he was going to upload compat-3, and showed me where to find
> it, but I'd already installed compat-4, so -3 refused to install.
>
> on the grounds that there are undoutablly software out there which WAS
> linked with libpq.so.4, it seems to me there should just be one
> compat-postgresql-libs RPM which provides both 3 and 4 and coexists with
> current 8.2.3 rpms.

There's no software linked with libpq.so.4 on standard RHEL 4. They
are all built on libpq.so.3.
IMHO, your problem is that it seems to the RPM database that compat 4
is newer than compat. I think we should have 2 different packages with
different names compat-3 and compat-4.

But you only need the compat package with libpq.so.3 to install 8.1
and 8.2 on RHEL 4.

--
Guillaume