Re: First implementation of GIN for pg_trgm

From: "Guillaume Smet" <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Teodor Sigaev" <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Oleg Bartunov" <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Subject: Re: First implementation of GIN for pg_trgm
Date: 2007-02-22 16:42:49
Lists: pgsql-patches

On 2/22/07, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru> wrote:
> How long is average length of strings in table?

test=# SELECT MIN(length(word)), MAX(length(word)), AVG(length(word))
FROM lieu_mots_gin;
min | max | avg
-----+-----+--------------------
1 | 38 | 7.4615463141373282
(1 row)

I don't see how to have a more precise similarity without having the
number of entries registered by the indexed value somewhere.

I think it can be interesting for other flavours of GIN usage. Is
there a way to add the number of entries of the considered indexed
item to the consistent prototype without adding too much overhead and
complexity?

--
Guillaume