Re: drop database, vacuum full and disk space

From: "Chris Hoover" <revoohc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Antonio Grassi" <agrassic(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: drop database, vacuum full and disk space
Date: 2008-02-29 20:28:39
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 12:17 PM, Antonio Grassi <agrassic(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi list. I've searched the archives and I've seen a lot of posts related
> to database size, vacuuming, etc., but I can't totally understand this.
> I've a small database of about 300Mb (when initially loaded), whose data
> is almost completely replaced in the night (via various "drop table" and the
> load of dumps of such tables from other postgresql installation).
> Altough I've autovacuum activated, the size of this database is now about
> 3Gb. I've also full vacuumed the base by hand from time to time since the
> base was created, but that didn't help either.
> Yesterday I recreated the database with another name, thus having database
> A with 3Gb and database B with 300Mb. Then I made a "drop database A", and
> ran vacuumdb -af. But the space used by postgresql didn't go down. This
> makes me think that vacuum full just releases pages associated to existent
> database objects, is this correct?
> So my question is: is there a way to reclaim those 3Gb for the operating
> system, without deleting (rm) the data dir, doing initdb again and
> recreating the database (to finish up with one database of about 300Mb and
> 300Mb of disk usage)?
> Thanks in advance,
> Antonio
> PS: Yes, I've very few disk space, and no, recreating the database from
> scratch (in the 'rm' sense) wouldn't be too easy (work place
> particularities).

Try running a reindex (reindexdb -e -d <db>) and cluster all of the tables.
These are blocking transactions, but should release all of the bloat in your

The cluster has to be run on a table by table basis and will cluster the
table on the primary key if no other index is provided.  See the
documentation for more information.

Come see how to SAVE money on fuel, decrease harmful emissions, and even
make MONEY.  Visit and join the revolution!