Re: Where to find information on the new HOT tables?

From: "Chris Hoover" <revoohc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "Dimitri Fontaine" <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Where to find information on the new HOT tables?
Date: 2008-02-08 13:01:44
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Feb 7, 2008 6:48 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:

> Bruce Momjian escribió:
> > Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
>
> > > What about Alvaro's concern about manual vacuuming policies editing
> wrt to
> > > HOT?
> >
> > I think most people will be using autovacuum, and those who aren't will
> > have to realize that HOT makes vacuuming less needed.
>
> Hmm, and how will they realize it, if they don't understand how HOT
> comes into the equation?

How about just adding a "for more information look here link" pointing
to http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/src/backend/access/heap/README.HOT?rev=1.2

That is the link Alvaro sent me in the first part of the thread. It was a
very good read explaining how HOT works along with the caveats.

Chris

--
Come see how to SAVE money on fuel, decrease harmful emissions, and even
make MONEY. Visit http://colafuelguy.mybpi.com and join the revolution!