Is there a limit to the number of partitions?

From: "Chris Hoover" <revoohc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org Admin" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Is there a limit to the number of partitions?
Date: 2008-01-02 16:40:21
Lists: pgsql-admin

Is there a limit to the number of partitions a table can have in PostgreSQL?

The reason I as is we are looking again at partitioning our databases with
the possibility of doing the partitioning by year, month, or even day.
However, we are required by HIPPA to keep 7 years of data, and we are
planning on maintaining the data online in our databases. While I can't
imagine year or month being a problem, 7 years of daily partitions would be
2555+ partitions per table. Can PostgreSQL handle this many partitions per
table? Is that feasible, or would the cost of the rules become to expensive
to be feasible?

Thanks for any comments.

Chris