What happens on a commit?

From: "Chris Hoover" <revoohc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: What happens on a commit?
Date: 2007-05-22 17:25:01
Lists: pgsql-admin
I am trying to diagnose a slowness issue in some of my databases.  I think
the issue is due to a hardware/network upgrade over the weekend, but like
all dba's, I have to prove it.

Right now, I have almost all commits being issues taking between 1 and 5
seconds to complete.  The can take as long as 20 seconds.  What exactly
happens when a commit is issues to PostgreSQL?

Is there a way to trace what is going on internally?  I do have a large
process that I can start that will run many transactions during a single
session.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris