help with pg_dump timings

From: Chris Hoover <revoohc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: help with pg_dump timings
Date: 2005-10-12 13:36:07
Lists: pgsql-admin
I'm wondering, does anyone know of any timing tests for pg_dump?

I am trying to find the fastest way to do our nightly database backups using
pg_dump. And I just wanted to make sure I don't reinvent the wheel if
someone has already done a bunch of comparisions with the various ways to
backup.

Here are the kind of timings I'm looking at:

pg_dump -Fc -Zx
pg_dump -Fc
pg_dump -Ft
pg_dump
pg_dump -Fc | gzip > backup
pg_dump -Ft | gzip > backup
pg_dump | gzip > backup
pg_dump -Fc | bzip2 > backup
pg_dump -Ft | bzip2 > backup
pg_dump | bzip2 > backup

I know there are many variables, but I'm just looking at the pg_dump
process. Does anyone know what the fastest pg_dump would be?

Also, what -Z compression level equals the compression of gzip? I've played
with -Z9, but it seems to compress better than gzip (but takes a bit
longer).

Thanks,

Chris

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Nigel BishopDate: 2005-10-12 14:15:37