On-line backup and point-in-time recovery (PITR), and human error

From: "Mag Gam" <magawake(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: On-line backup and point-in-time recovery (PITR), and human error
Date: 2007-11-22 16:41:23
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hi All,

I am currently building a database where we get batch feeds from various
vendors. On a daily basis we generate about 5000 updates. Sometimes the
vendor may send us a bad feed/data, and we have to stop all processing,
restore a previous "good" database, and ask all vendors to resubmit their
jobs.

Our current backup strategy is, we do a pg_dump of the database on a nightly
basis. Each vendor sends their feed on a hourly/by minute basis. The vendor
will inform us, when they send a "bad" feed. Its becoming tedious for us to
restore, and have all vendors resubmit their jobs.

My question is, would PITR help us in this situation? If a vendor states
they sent a bad feed at a certain time, can we just stop all transactions
and roll back our logs, and proceed from there? Any thoughts for this
problem?

TIA

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: chrisjDate: 2007-11-23 19:13:50