Re: Is setQuerySnapshot called for embedded plpgsql function calls?

From: "Burak Seydioglu" <buraks78(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is setQuerySnapshot called for embedded plpgsql function calls?
Date: 2007-02-02 21:17:08
Lists: pgsql-novice

On a side note, I already have a recursive plpgsql function (running
successfully on both 7.4 and 8.0) which is able to see its own changes
(in case it needs to reset the sequence) Please see below.

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION parent() RETURNS bigint AS '
DECLARE
var_query TEXT;
var_result RECORD;
var_result_seq RECORD;
var_id BIGINT;
BEGIN

LOCK TABLE sequence IN ACCESS EXCLUSIVE MODE;

var__id := 0;

FOR var_result_seq IN EXECUTE ''SELECT sequence_id FROM sequence'' LOOP

var_query := ''SELECT sponsor_id FROM sponsor WHERE sponsor_id>'' ||
quote_literal(var_result_seq.sequence_id);

FOR var_result IN EXECUTE var_query LOOP
var_id := var_result.sponsor_id;
END LOOP;

-- if nobody was found
IF var_id = 0 THEN
-- reset seq
EXECUTE ''UPDATE sequence SET sequence_id='' || quote_literal(''0'');
-- and start over
-- this next run is able to see that the field is set
to zero......
RETURN parent();
-- found somebody
ELSE
-- increment sequence
EXECUTE ''UPDATE sequence SET sequence_id='' ||
quote_literal(var_id);
-- return id and exit
RETURN var_id;
END IF;