Re: Frontend/Backend protocol 3.0

From: Jonathan Fuerth <fuerth(at)sqlpower(dot)ca>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Frontend/Backend protocol 3.0
Date: 2005-06-06 22:20:02
Lists: pgsql-odbc
On Jun 6, 2005, at 5:39 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>> I don't think I'm the only person who has been suffering from a lack
>>> of background knowledge in this regard.
>> OK, who is working on improving ODBC at this point?  Please give us a
>> status report.
>
> My understanding is that there are two ODBC Projects.
>
> 1. ODBCng which is the GPL Command Prompt venture

This seems clear enough--a from-scratch, GPL/commercial licensed ODBC
driver which doesn't use libpq and only works with PostgreSQL backend
 >=8.0.  Command Prompt will host this separately from the existing
psqlodbc project.

> 2. ODBC which is the original LGPL version and is being worked on by
> Pervasive.

I'm fuzzy on this one.  Is pervasive just contributing incremental
updates to the existing driver in the existing CVS repository, or will
they post a lump-sum update to the driver one day, or will they fork
the project and host their version on their own site?

I can't find any evidence that they've publicly forked the project (or
made any improvements to the odbc driver), but that doesn't mean they
haven't been working on something in secret.

Thanks for helping me discover these other projects.  Now that we can
get SQLSTATE from the backend, the driver works with our product (which
is not open source).

The next step will be to optimise SQL INSERT and UPDATE performance,
and the most obvious place to start is with the new bind/execute part
of the v3 backend protocol.  I'm trying to decide if it's worth
implementing on top of our current patched driver, or if I should just
wait for Pervasive or Command Prompt to do it.

-Jonathan Fuerth